Berkshire Hathaway Inc. - Iscar Ltd. Joint News Release; Berkshire Hathaway to Acquire Iscar Metalworking Companies

OMAHA, Neb. & TEFEN, Israel--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 5, 2006--Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (NYSE:BRK.A) (NYSE:BRK.B) and Iscar, Ltd. today announced that Berkshire Hathaway has agreed to acquire 80% of the Iscar Metalworking Companies (IMC) in a transaction that values IMC at US$5 billion.

The Iscar Metalworking Companies is a privately held group, with operations worldwide, and is an industry leader in the metal cutting tools business through its Iscar, TaeguTec, Ingersoll and other IMC group companies. Upon completion of the transaction, Berkshire will own 80% of the business and the Wertheimer family, IMC's current shareholders, will own the remaining 20%. The transaction remains subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals.

After becoming a part of the Berkshire family of businesses, IMC will continue to be managed by its current management team, including Chairman Eitan Wertheimer and President and Chief Executive Officer Jacob Harpaz, as well as the rest of its current worldwide management team. IMC will remain headquartered in Tefen, Israel, and its worldwide business operations will continue as usual.

"We are delighted to partner with the Wertheimer family and IMC's current management, led by Eitan Wertheimer and Jacob Harpaz," said Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "As a truly international business, IMC is a top performer in its industry, with exposure to European, Asian and Latin American markets, as well as significant opportunities for growth as it continues to penetrate the North American market. My partner, Charlie Munger, and I have been impressed by IMC's simple and profitable business model. With this acquisition, we have the benefit of investing in a stable business with very significant growth prospects."

"As a member of the Berkshire family we'll have the benefit of a strong platform that's committed to continuing our historical success," said Eitan Wertheimer. "This transaction is not only significant for our company, our customers and our employees, but also for our industry, and for the State of Israel. We are gratified by Berkshire's investment in the group, and proud of what we have achieved since Iscar's founding more than 50 years ago by my father Stef Wertheimer, who will continue to lend his vision to the group. We are looking forward to a long and profitable partnership with Berkshire Hathaway."

"This acquisition ties the knot between Berkshire Hathaway, one of America's outstanding businesses, and IMC, an extraordinary industrial company with a truly global reach, and a presence in the world's most dynamic regions and economies," said Jacob Harpaz. "We believe that our partnership with Berkshire will further strengthen our position in the North American market and worldwide and allow us to continue the phenomenal growth that we have experienced over the past 50 years."

About Berkshire Hathaway

Berkshire Hathaway and its subsidiaries engage in diverse business activities, among which the most important is the property and casualty insurance business conducted on both a direct and reinsurance basis. Common stock of the company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange, trading symbols BRK.A and BRK.B.

About the Iscar Metalworking Companies (IMC)

The Iscar Metalworking Companies provide a comprehensive range of tools for the full scope of metalworking applications. The group is dedicated to a philosophy of continuous improvement and innovation in all facets of its operations, including manufacturing, product development, distribution, sales, and administrative functions. IMC's products are manufactured in a global network of world-class, technologically advanced manufacturing campuses, the largest located in Tefen, Israel, and including facilities in the United States; Korea; Brazil; China; Germany; India; Italy and Japan; and sold through subsidiary offices and agents located in 61 major industrial countries worldwide.

In connection with this transaction, Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz provided legal advice to the Iscar Metalworking Companies, and Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP provided legal advice to Berkshire Hathaway.

Berkshire Hathaway Inc., Omaha
Marc D. Hamburg, 402-346-1400
Iscar Metalworking Companies
Dan Goldman, +972-4-997-0302